The Division of Transport Planning, Economics and Engineering at KTH Royal Institute of Technology is opening a new faculty position as Associate Professor in Railway Systems. Your help in disseminating the information would be greatly appreciated. Details and application link are found at:
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Subject field: Railway Systems
Subject description: Railway systems constitute a sub-area of the transport sciences that encompasses analysis, planning and development of rail transport systems. The subject covers the development of theories, methods and models for analysis, management, planning and evaluation of railway systems, and innovation/application of these in the development of the railway system and its role in the full transport system. Furthermore, the subject covers the areas rail capacity including traffic simulation and optimization, train transport planning, market effects of train transport, transport logistics as well as automation and digitization.
Duties: Leadership of the group for railway traffic. Management and leadership for the Division of Transport Planning, Economics and Engineering may also be relevant.
Examination, course development and teaching in rail traffic-related courses in civil engineering, a master’s program in transport and geoinformatics, and a postgraduate program in transport science. Participate in the master’s program within the KTH Railway Group with UIUC. Commission education in Railway Systems within the KTH Railway Group. Supervision of PhD students.
Carry out own research, including research funding applications, recruitment and funding of new PhD students. Work in close contact with research centers close to the department and other environments and stakeholders within and outside KTH.
Eligibility: Those qualified for appointment as an associate professor are persons who have:
- been awarded a PhD or has the corresponding research competence or some other professional expertise that is of value in view of the subject matter of the post and the duties that it will involve, and 2. demonstrated teaching expertise.
Grounds of assessment: The assessment criteria for appointment as an associate professor at KTH shall be the degree of expertise required as a qualification for employment. In addition, the assessment criteria stated in the KTH appointments procedure, section 1.2., apply in relation to the employment profile laid down.
Of highest importance is the applicant’s
– scientific skills in railway systems
– pedagogical skills in railway systems
– leadership experience at least at group level and the ability to develop and manage activities and staff, which includes knowledge of diversity and equal treatment issues with a particular focus on gender equality
– ability to collaborate and ability to take responsibility for own research activities
Of second highest importance is the applicant’s
– ability to seek and receive external funding for research and commission education
– experience in supervising doctoral students, master’s thesis students and younger employees
– administrative skills
It is also important that the applicant has
– ability to cross subject boundaries and work interdisciplinary
– formal pedagogical education
– ability to establish and develop collaborations in research and education
– ability to interact with the surrounding society and to inform about research and development work
– experience in research and education in environments other than KTH
Trade union representatives
Contact information to trade union representatives can be found at KTH:s web page.
Your application should follow KTH:s CV template for employment of teachers. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete according to the requirements in the ad and CV template.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Log into KTH:s recruitment system in order to apply to this position online.
For more information regarding KTH’s assessement, see Appointments procedure for teachers at the Royal Institute of Technology
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Permanent position
Contract type: Full time
First day of employment: As soon as possible
Salary: Monthly pay
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100 %
County: Stockholms län
Reference number: VL-2018-0045
Last application date: 15.Aug.2018 11:59 PM CET